The Outstanding Tutor of the Year Award is designed to give recognition to tutors who provide extraordinary service to the students, the center, and the campus community. The award is provided to acknowledge and celebrate the contributions of undergraduate students, graduate students, faculty, and staff whose primary responsibility is to tutor in a writing center. The outstanding tutor award recognizes innovative tutoring techniques, the quality of work with writers, articulation of tutoring philosophy, and contributions to the writing center beyond tutoring.
Each director may nominate one tutor from their center for the award. Award recipients are ineligible for re-nomination. Nominators must include the following three (3) documents:
- Cover letter on institutional letterhead (electronic letterhead) for identification purposes. This cover letter will be separated from the other two documents to ensure blind review. The letter must contain the following information:
- Nominee’s name
- Nominee’s classifications (undergraduate, graduate, staff, faculty)
- Nominee’s contact information (email, phone number, address)
- Nominator’s (director’s) information (email, phone number, address)
2. A personal statement by the tutor, not to exceed 500 words. The statement should describe the tutor’s philosophy of tutoring/consulting exemplified through narratives of one or two tutoring/consulting sessions. The statement must not identify the institution or the tutor by full name.
3. A recommendation from the director written on plain paper that does not identity the institution. The director should refer to the tutor only by first name. The recommendation should speak to the way the tutor fulfills the qualities the award recognizes.
The Awards Committee will confer with the SCWCA board to determine the availability of funds before awarding a specific amount, not to exceed $200. The winner will receive a plaque and cash award at the SCWCA conference. Each nominee will receive a certificate acknowledging the nomination.
Email nominations or direct questions to Carey Clack at firstname.lastname@example.org.